Monday, March 10, 2008

Let's Start With the Rolling Stones

I recently started listening to Exile on Main Street by the Rolling Stones. I was only familiar with their big radio hits like "Start Me Up" and "I Can't Get No Satisfaction", so I was really surprised when several tracks from this album reminded me of the Grateful Dead and other... more mellow music. I've added one of my favorites from the album to the playlist called "Loving Cup". I'm not going to write a lot about the Stones because, frankly, I'm not that into them. But I hope you will appreciate listening to an earlier song.

I will, however, write about how both the band and the magazine got their name. After a little research I'm pretty sure that both the band and magazine are named after an old Muddy Waters song called "Rollin' Stone". I was hoping that the name came from Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" off of Highway 61 Revisited because it is a fantastic song. But I took some solace in the fact that the Dylan tune was ranked the #1 song in the RS top 500 songs list. I've posted both the Muddy Waters song and the Dylan song for your listening pleasure. I never thought I would say I like Bob Dylan, but Highway 61 is a really great album.

And I also want to give a shout out to Johnny for pointing out that the Beach Boys album I mentioned in my last RS post is called Pet Sounds and not Pet Music. Good catch, Johnny.

No comments: