Monday, February 25, 2008

Rolling Stone Top 100 Albums

Okay, so before you read this, please read Randy's post on Lent. It is much more inspiring than my new pet project, and I feel guilty posting above his post.

Moving on...

A few years ago, Rolling Stone published a list of the top 500 rock albums of all time (which, by the nature of invention, is limited to the last century). I cut the article out and filed it away, hoping that someday I would actually try to listen to some of these great albums. And that day is finally here.

This year I am going to listen to one album by each artist who has an album appearing on Rolling Stone's top 100 list. That amounts to around 68 albums because I am not listening to 7 Beatles albums, 4 Bob Dylan albums, etc. My goal is to familiarize myself with some of the rock greats that I only know by name and to expand my musical interests. And I'm planning to post a few thoughts and songs along the way. I've added a nifty jukebox feature at the bottom of our blog and will post songs from time to time that I think are noteworthy. And I'm starting with this great Beach Boys song from the #2 album: Pet Music. The irony is that I grew up listening to the Beach Boys and didn't hear this song, God Only Knows What I'd Be Without You, until I was an adult. But it is definitely my favorite BB song.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh, but all 7 Beatles albums would be worth listening to ;) I can't wait to hear what comes next !

John Schwaller said...

Isn't it Pet Sounds?