Friday, August 17, 2007

Birthing Class Part 2

Fortunately, the further I get from our first birthing class experience, the better I feel about it. Did you know, for instance, that at the beginning of labor it is recommended that you go to dinner or go see a movie? That sounds fabulous! However, right now I would not want to go to a movie in the theatre because periodically I am suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS), and I don't like the idea of not being able to get up easily for a few hours at a time (unless I am sleeping). We also did a second tour of Presbyterian's maternity ward, and it is definitely nicer than my house. So most of the information I learned in birthing class is actually quite positive.

I'd like to note at this point that my positive attitude toward the birthing class may have to do with my new found happiness that I posted about last time. I realize that I have made some profound mental shifts in how I think about my surroundings, and one of my new happiness mantras is "Accentuate the Positive." I can't quit singing the Johnny Mercer tune by the same name in my head! If you are unfamiliar with the song, you can watch both Perry Como's performance from 1958 or a clip from some 1980's BBC show called The Singing Detective on You Tube, both complete with dance numbers.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I always wish I had taken a nice, long, warm bath (before water breaks, of course). The last relaxing bath you'll get for a while :)with candles and soothing music. I love the positive attitude...have you heard "Blessed" by Brett Dennen - very upbeat, same kind of message. I love it!