Thursday, January 10, 2008

Criminal

So the good news is that I had the opportunity to see Mecklenburg County's new courthouse today and it really is as beautiful as everyone says. The outside structure doesn't seem all that to me, but inside is very elegant and I'm thrilled with the mix of grandeur and intimacy in the lobby. Very cool. BE&K has a little writeup with some pictures - note, this is a pdf file. I came home and was so excited to take a family outing Uptown so Emily could see it (as well as "Jail Central" which is where the Sherriff's office and Magistrate's office is located, just outside of the County jail). Then I remembered how uncomfortable I felt surrounded by all those criminals and other people who I bet want to be criminals when they grow up. No Fink family outing until Vivy is at least 40.

The bad news is that I was pulled over yesterday for having an expired license plate registration. I am *so* bad at things like this (some might remember by revoked plate in 1998 or 1999) but really thought that I had improved. When Officer Herlocker (nice guy) pulled me over yesterday, I was so confident there was a mistake I whipped out the "registration" and kindly informed him to take a hike. He humored me by running the plate again to confirm I was a dumbass and that the paper I gave him was in fact the bill to renew my registration, and not the registration itself. I guess being dumb is just the price I pay for being this good looking.

4 comments:

Marty said...

Randy, I'm about to join you and the other criminals tomorrow when my license expires on my birthday and I have no plans in the near future for getting it renewed. Does the state really think I have time for this when I'm taking care of a baby?!?

I have been ticketed more than once for expired stuff on my car. The good part is you only have to get renewed and show up in court with proof of your renewal--you don't have to pay court costs that way. As an added bonus you'll get to see the inside of a courtroom and the beauty of traffic court in action.

Hannah Murray said...

You and Tim both. So far no traffic tickets in Peru. Then again he hasn't driven yet.

Robyn said...

Well, Randy, you have to make mistakes like this every now and then so we all know you are, in fact, human, and not the superhero (or maybe I should say super-planner) we all know and love!

Fifi said...

This kind of a ticket is the only one I've ever gotten and I was so mad at myself. In fact, I remember I was leaving Asheville, heading to Charlotte, and saying to myself, "I'm going to get pulled over today." Sure enough, Mr. Highway Patrolman pulled me over on 74 for expired tags. Thankfully, I did not have to go to court. Oh the perks of working in a law office and having attorneys to "work the system".

Oh, and I'm really glad we have a pretty courthouse. How nice.